Vibrant music is an essential and core component of Falcon Heights Church, gathering us together and shaping our worship. We have been blessed having a husband/wife team, Joel Johnson and Karen Johnson, as our Music Director and organist/accompanist for more than 50 years. They recently announced their retirement.
We seek a creative Director of Music with the talent to utilize a variety of musical styles to enliven our community. Unless the Director is also an organist/accompanist, we will ask the Director of Music to help us fill that additional position.
A successful Director of Music will invite, encourage and equip music participants in an engaging, positive way and will lead our multigenerational congregation as it gathers to worship. The Director of Music will direct our Chancel Choir and help rebuild our post-Covid youth choirs. The Director of Music will encourage our community to increase our musical skills and enhance participants’ roles as worship leaders. The Director of Music will participate in worship planning, collaborating with our Pastor and other worship leaders to bring sacred and spiritual realities to life through music.
The Director of Music position is a twelve-month position. From September through May, it is approximately a 20 hours per week position and it includes the responsibilities of choir director, youth choir director and organist/accompanist. In the summer months, it is approximately a 5-10 hours per week position and it includes arranging for ensembles and instrumentalists for worship services.
Other responsibilities of the Director of Music include:
- Providing year-around planning, implementation and oversight of the music program, including weekly services and special seasonal services in cooperation with the Pastor, the Worship Committee and other staff or volunteers;
- Cultivating a team of song leaders and volunteer music ensembles within our community as well as recruiting and hiring supplemental instrumentalists or vocalists as needed;
- Providing or purchasing music for all choral and instrumental groups;
- Coordinating maintenance and acquisition of church instruments;
- Creating and managing the budget for music ministries, working with the Treasurer and Pastor.
Compensation: $20,000+ plus benefits
Respond to: [email protected]
Questions directed to: Shannon Kaiser, [email protected]
Submission deadline – August 15, 2021
Start date – September 1, 2021