Updated position description (as of 8/2/21):
Director of Music
Falcon Heights Church, United Church of Christ is a progressive congregation that enjoys a vibrant music program that is an essential component of our worship and community life. With the retirement of both our longtime choral director and organist, we seek a creative church musician who will continue our strong musical heritage while expanding and including additional musical expressions.
The Director of Music uses their positive attitude to invite, encourage, engage, and equip participants to lead our multigenerational congregation in music. The Music Director will increase our congregation’s musical skills, enhance participants’ roles as worship leaders, and assist in rebuilding, post-pandemic, our youth choirs. The Director of Music participates in worship planning, collaborating with clergy, worship leaders, and other musicians in the congregation to bring sacred and spiritual realities to life through music.
This position is a 12-month position averaging 12 hours a week: more so during the holiday season, and less so in the summer.
Responsibilities of the Director of Music include:
- Directing the adult Chancel Choir and youth choir
- Planning musical worship with clergy and worship leaders
- Recruiting and hiring supplemental musicians as needed;
- Purchasing choral and instrumental music as needed;
- Coordinating maintenance and acquisition of church instruments;
- Managing the budget for music ministries, working with the Treasurer and Pastor.
- Bachelor’s degree in music, church music, or other related degree
- Demonstrated knowledge of the use of music in worship
- Working knowledge of instrumentalists and musical genres
- Competency at the keyboard
- Computer literacy
Compensation: $25,000 plus benefits
Respond to: [email protected]
Questions directed to: Shannon Kaiser, [email protected]
Submission deadline: August 22, 2021
Start date: Fall, 2021